[User] BPEL Project deployment with Database BC giving null pointer exception

Paul Perez paul.perez at pymma.com
Tue May 12 14:40:14 BST 2020

Hello Askey,

Thank you for your example.

As you said, I was unable to deploy the BPEL project and especially the
service unit SampleRESTTestCA-sun-database-binding.
Having a look at the log file produced by OpenESB the fault comes from the
parsing of the file XMLSchema.xsd.
You must know that when OpenESB deploys a service unit, it tries to parse
the schemas in your project.
In your case, XMLSchema.xsd is validated and parsed during the deployment.
If you try to parse XMLSchema with any tools such as Oxygen, you will find
out that the file is not valid because the validation requires two DTD
files: XMLSchema.dtd and datatype.dtd.
Look on the source code of XMLSchema.xsd:
<!DOCTYPE xs:schema PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XMLSCHEMA 200102//EN"
"XMLSchema.dtd". So to validate the file you need to add these DTDs as
reference.

The best way to do it would be to add these DTDs in reference. Nevertheless,
OpenESB build process at the CASA level is not designed to access the DTD as
a reference. OpenESB relies on XML, XSD, WSDL, etc. but not DTD. O you
cannot use this way.

Another way to do it is to add on your server on where XMLSchema stands the
DTDs file. But once again, it is not useful if you require XMLSchema.xsd as
reference.

Here is my question: Why do you need https://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd,
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd and
https://www.w3.org/2007/schema-for-xslt20.xsd as reference.
As you say, just remove them, and it works.

Other told me that the reference could be added automatically, but no one
provides us with an example.

To close the incident, please remove the useless reference, and if you can
design an example of automatic generation, please let me know.

Best regards

Paul Perez Chief Architect
Pymma Consulting
Tel: +44 79 44 36 04 65