[User] JSON Array Cut in REST-BC

Dave Woodman dave at naffnet.org.uk
Wed May 20 15:26:35 BST 2020

Hello Edwin,

This behaviour is common with XML->JSON converters, both those found on-line
and in locally used code libraries.

The problem is this - there is no 'array' in the JSON sense in XML, merely a
list of entries. If a converter sees an entry that does not repeat then it
renders it as a JSON object, since this is the simplest valid representation
that can be applied.

converters will render them as a JSON array, again since this would be the
simplest valid representation.

The converter is providing valid JSON in both of your use-cases, and is
therefore working. Unfortunately, there is more than one way to represent
the case of a single element, and the simplest representation is not the one
you are looking for.

Dave.